3/17/2013

March 2013: Birchbox & Ipsy

I decided to combine two posts into one this month by showcasing both my Birchbox and my Ipsy bag in the same post. I kind of already judge them based off of each other anyway, so now you can judge them together with me. Isn't being judge-y so fun? 


MAKE Face Primer SPF 30, full size is $30

I've yet to use the face primer, but I'm still excited about it. I hate cheap primer, and hate paying for expensive primer, but I have one full size primer I got through my Birchbox points and two deluxe-sized primer samples that will probably last me through the summer, in addition to the one I am getting through Birchbox. So this is sample is highly welcomed.

Not entirely thrilled about the shampoo and shaving cream sample, but at least they're good sample sizes. I'd much rather receive conditioner than shampoo, though! Shampoo is only on my hair for like 5 seconds, so whatever is in it doesn't get soaked into my hair for long. I leave my conditioner on for 5-10 minutes, so that's the stuff worth paying money for in my opinion. And shaving cream? I knick myself with cheap shaving cream and I knick myself with expensive shaving cream. All the same to me. Lastly, the emery board is less than impressive. After using the Tweezerman file I got a few boxes back, I've turned into a file snob and only want the best of the best.

It's been a while since Birchbox has really wowed me, but this month wasn't too bad! Here is the eyeshadow, swatched. It's a deep, rusty purple color that I actually really love. It's quite blendable and I think it'd look pretty nice with my brown eyes. The only problem with single shadows like this is that I forget about them and continually reach for my full palettes. Going to try to keep this on my vanity as a reminder to use it!


That's it this month for Birchbox. Moving onto my Ipsy bag!



Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist, full size is $22
yaby Eyeshadow pan, $3.99 a shadow
GlamRX Mini Freestyle Palette, regular one is $16.50

I'm sad to say this is the first time Ipsy really disappointed me. They usually send pretty impressive samples in great sizes, and while the sizes of this month's were great, I just wasn't all that impressed. Makeup wipes are always useful, but I don't have any desire to try new ones. I just always buy the biggest pack for the least amount of money, ha.

The hydrating mist might have been more helpful during the dryer part of this past winter, but I tried this stuff and really didn't like it. I just hate misting my face with a spray, it just feels so wrong to me for some reason! And the smell is a very unappealing floral scent. Not a fan. But I never would've tried a hydrating spray if not for sample subscriptions like this! That's why I keep subscribing. My love for makeup and my cheapness that stops me from buying anything full price or unless I know I'm in love with it. Moving along.

The little palette is an empty palette with a magnetic bottom, used to place single eye shadows in that have a magnetic pan. I've photographed it below with the two shadows they sent me. I've wanted to get a palette like this to start de-panning some of my favorite drugstore shadows so I could keep all my favorite shades in one place (and actually start using them again instead of having them sitting around with all the rest of my tons and tons of makeup!), so it was nice to be able to try this out. The only thing I didn't like is that the magnet didn't seem very strong, because it barely seemed to hang onto the shadows. I would want to know my shadows were stuck pretty firmly in place and weren't going to be sliding around or falling out. Either way, it's pretty neat, just small. Probably only about the size of a credit card. And the shadows are about the size of a dime, and were pretty mediocre quality in my opinion. But with makeup, you generally get what you pay for! And at $3.99 a shade, I didn't expect much.

The redeemer of this bag is the actual bag itself. Too cute! And it's big enough to actually be useful for me, so I like it!


So there you have it! My two monthly, competing beauty subscription services, getting along enough to share a post. Enjoy! :) Let me know if you subscribe to either of these services, or a different one, and what you got this month!

10 comments:

  1. I got the exact same stuff in my Birchbox! I'm not particularly wow'ed by the shaving cream either (the sample would barely work for both my legs HA!) but I'm excited to try the primer! The eyeshadow looks great against your skin tone, too.
    Valerie
    www.the-style-files.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh agreed, i got a similar birchbox and am not pleased. i'm seriously thinking about un-subscribing bc at this point, i'm just accumulating samples i don't need!

    -natalie-
    thesecondbestblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Birchbox was fairly different but not any more exciting than yours. The emery board was on the packing list but not in the box so I was disappointed with just lotion samples in those little paper packets, blemish cream, shaving cream and a different primer.
    I haven't tried the shaving cream yet but I always use conditioner as a substitute. I can use up a bottle I don't really like for my hair or just grab a 99 cent bottle and it works as well as saving cream, for me at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also a little disappointed this month with these boxes.... I agree that the only redeeming part of the Ipsy was the adorable anchor bag itself! I don't know if you already subscribe, but Glossybox is SOOOO much better than birchbox and ipsy! i mean I love them all, and glossybox is a bit more pricey (like $21/month) but the quality of everything is SO MUCH BETTER and I have yet to been disappointed by them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear mixed reviews about these kind of subscriptions. Which is your favorite?

    Amy

    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Amy, do you have a favorite that you are subscribed to?
    XO Chelsea
    http://shesaidhesaid-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably would have to say Birchbox! Just because they have an awesome points/loyalty system that has earned me quite a few free products, and I'll take smaller sample sizes of awesome products as opposed to cluttering up my makeup collection with a ton of mediocre products.

      Delete
  7. I think after reading your blog you enticed me to finally get Birchbox and I will be receiving this March box very soon. I recently saw a preview of what I was getting (similar to yours) and it didnt seem to impress me that much, so not very exciting for my first box! I am hoping I get better stuff for next month. But I like how for $10 you get to try new stuff you weren't usually going to try! I was thinking about getting Ipsy but decided to wait to see how I liked Birchbox first. Thanks so much for posting your reviews on these boxes thats SOOO helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Ipsy bag looks disappointing. We received the same Birchbox this month :). I just posted the review of my March Birchbox on my blog too. It is the best Birchbox I've ever received!

    - KW
    http://musthaveboxes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got my first Birchbox in the mail last week, and it's pretty cool. I got the shaving cream and the nail file, but instead of the other stuff I got the dry shampoo, a CC cream and a sample of a Juicy Couture perfume. The perfume was very floral & very strong, and I wasn't really a fan. The dry shampoo worked--it kept my hair from looking greasy and it smelled great. But I didn't like the way it made my hair feel. BUT...able to make my hair not look like a grease pit? Winner. The CC cream is great, but the smell is not good and to be honest, I don't see much of a difference in it versus the BB cream I already use, so probably won't continue it. The shaving cream? Not a fan...it smells wonderful but it doesn't foam or whatever worth a crap and I don't even feel like I have shaving cream on. I haven't used the nail file yet, but I'm not picky about nail files. All in all, I'm looking forward to next months!
    Shanna
    www.flipflopshanna.com

    ReplyDelete