1/19/2013

Ipsy bag January 2013


Another day, another beauty bag. For those of you who are newer to my blog (hi!), you may not know that not only do I subscribe to Birchbox, but I also subscribe to Ipsy. What can I say? I'm a fiend for beauty products and like to pretend that it's not ridiculous to spend $20 a month on, essentially, samples.

Click below to see what I got this month! 




Soho Beauty Concealer Brush (full size - $7.99)

The first item that grabbed my attention was obviously the brush. A brush in a beauty sample bag? I'll take it! Unfortunately, it's a concealer brush, the one type of brush I've never had any use for. My ring finger just works so excellently at blending my foundation. I will have to give this a try, though. 

Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Body Butter (this size, 2.5oz, sells for $7 and 8 oz. is $15)

If this were any other scent, I might be thrilled. But I. Hate. Orange. Smelling. Things. I like oranges themselves, but the scent of oranges almost makes me gag. This lotion is less repulsive than I thought it'd be, but I do not see myself reaching for it. Ever.

Big Sexy Hair Spray & Play (full size is about $13)

I used to use this stuff in high school, and I always liked it. But when I when through the phase of having "scene girl hair" (you know.. like this), I started requiring way too much hair spray on a daily basis to keep paying $13 a bottle when Herbal Essences gets the job done for a measly $3.50. This will be handy for when I fly next month, being all TSA-approved-sized and all.



I don't really have a need for any more make up bags, but this one is a little bit bigger than the first two I got, so I can definitely find more use for this. Besides, it's got a super cute blue and white star lining on the inside. Darling! 

Inside the makeup bag were the following two products:

Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil (full size is $48)

I was kind of excited to get this oil, because it's something I have been eyeing for over a year now. I've heard you can use it on your hair, your skin, your cuticles or your bath, so I knew it had to be good stuff. I've only used it on my hair though, and yikes: a little goes a long ways, ladies! I put a little on the ends of freshly washed and dried hair and I was tempted to just wash it all over again. It made my ends very oily and dirty looking! So I think next time I'll use this only the night before I wash my hair and see how it works. I'm all about hair treatments, especially a nice product like this!

Nailtini Nail Lacquer in Frappe (full size - $13)

Another polish from Nailtini! The gold one I got a few months ago was decent, but I was a little cautious of this. I have zero patience for a polish that requires more than two coats and isn't opaque. I just hate streaky-looking nails that you can see through. But I tried this out on a night I was feeling especially patient and painted three coats, plus a top coat and this was the result:



Not too shabby! Still a little see-through in my opinion. I ended up painting a coat of tiny silver sparkles a couple days later because I just couldn't get past the sheerness of this polish. But I'm enjoying the look.

That's everything! I wasn't too impressed with Ipsy this month. There wasn't anything I really felt like I'd use a ton other than the Argan oil, but it's still kind of a mystery product to me. I am trying to be more proactive about using my samples from past Ipsy's bags and Birchboxes! I collected all my old samples and am keeping them in a box next to where I put makeup on every morning. If I'm going to spend $20 a month on makeup samples, I suppose I oughta use as much of them as possible, right? :)

Anyone else subscribed to Ipsy? How'd you like this month's bag?

7 comments:

  1. I started using a concealer brush a few years back and love it. I always used to get a crease under my eyes with concealer, but once I started using a brush for concealer than a brush for powder I quite getting creases.
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I do get some creases under my eye that I usually just blend in better with my finger at the end of putting on all my makeup, but maybe a concealer brush would help? Hmm hmm hmm....

      Delete
  2. Argan Oil oops!

    I've never heard of putting the oil in /after/ your hair was already dry. My salon told me to always put about a half-a-dime sized drop in my recently washed hair (after conditioner, before blow dry) and work it all over except near my scalp. Then blow dry as per usual! The oil protects against the heat and makes your hair super silky and shiny.

    My bottle is pretty tiny and expensive, so I only use it when 1) there is no wind, and 2) I will be seen good and plenty that day to get its full usage.

    Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My co-worker just got her second Ipsy bag and after seeing hers and yours I might re-consider signing up. I used to do birchbox, but I found it a waste of money because I never really used anything and mostly didn't like the samples. BUT the ipsy samples seem really great soooo maybe I'll sign up :)

    have you used the argon oil on your face? I've heard really great things about it and wish I could try it out because I'm always looking for a new moisturizer (especially in the winter...ugh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, after finding like 2 dozen unused samples last weekend, I gave myself a firm talking to. I have to start actually using my samples and not just posting about them on the Internet!

      I've not used the argon oil on my face, but one of my fellow Ipsy subscribing friends who struggles with acne texted me this week telling me what miracles it was performing for her face. Might give it a try!

      Also: very glad you found my comments on your old entries. I don't quote Dr. Seuss for just anyone. <3

      Delete
  4. I'd love to see you sporting the "Scene hair" hahaha I love your reviews because they are helpful AND funny!

    ReplyDelete